April 16, 2011

Golf Week in Review | Driving Range Pet Peeves

As you can see from the title, this isn't a post about golf pants. It's an update on my progress to get really good at golf. And it's going pretty well so far, though, as you might imagine, it's a slow process. I should be getting my GHIN handicap turned back on any day now so I can start entering scores as I play. Actually, let me check and see if it's activated.

Nope, still inactive. It should be up soon and then I can start tracking my handicap progress along with my natural progress.

It's still pretty cold up here in Seattle. That means not a lot of playing, but plenty of time to go to the driving range. And, as you might expect, the driving ranges here are covered and have heaters, though most, if not all of them, are mats in the winter time. The grass just wouldn't grow fast enough.

I ended up making it to the range three times this week, which is more than I think I've been in the last two years combined. And already my golf swing is feeling better. The important thing I've found when I go to the range is to actually have something to work on when you go there. Don't just start pounding golf balls. That is not the right way to practice golf.

Also, I find myself doing a better job when I don't get too many range balls. The driving range has a deal where you get double range balls after 8:00 p.m. I see guys with two hundred range balls step up to a hitting bay! After a hundred you are bound to be very tired - and that is when swing flaws start to come into play.

The things I've been working on recently are getting a full turn with my shoulders and keeping my body inside of a small turning radius throughout the swing. Imagine you are swinging inside of an oil drum that comes up over your head. You should be able to turn your shoulders and hips within the barrel throughout the whole swing. If you can do this you'll become much more consistent, as I feel I have within the last week.

What I haven't done any of is short game practice. The short game facility at the range I go to sucks, and I haven't put together anything at home to practice (which I should probably do). My plan is to start incorporating that this week. As you know they say, "Drive for Show, Putt for Dough!"

Driving Range Pet Peeve

I didn't want to get out of here today without talking about one of my driving range pet peeves. That is when people come to the range, have no idea what they are doing, yet want to talk about the golf swing like they are Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus. It happened to me today. Two guys were right next to me and couldn't even get the ball off the ground, yet they were critiquing each other like they'd just finished first and second in the U.S. Am.

It bothers me because I can hear them talking, and I can't help but listen to what they are saying. It's a total concentration stealer. I don't mind people talking and having fun at the range, but don't talk golf swing fundamentals unless you're taking a lesson or you know what you are talking about.

That's about it for me and my practice this week. And I didn't get any new golf gear, though I am on the lookout for some new golf clubs. I've been checking out ebay but haven't found anything that catches my eye yet.

Which reminds me, maybe next time I'll go through my bag and tell you what's in it. I'll also give you a review of the Tiger Woods Swing App for the iPhone. Here's a hint, I think you're going to love it.

Have you used this golf product or have one to recommend? Please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment