October 26, 2011

Should You Wear Pleated Golf Pants or No Pleat Golf Pants?

If you read this blog at all then you know I have a penchant for fashion on the golf course. See, I don't get to wear fun clothes that often. I'm a criminal defense lawyer, which means I spend a lot of my time in stuffy courtrooms in front of stuffy judges. About as crazy as I can get is wearing a tie that doesn't match my suit or a brown suede shoes with my blue suit. I use the golf course as an outlet for my fashion.

Because of that, I've thought a lot about weather or not mens golf pants should be worn with pleats or not. It's an important question because it can have a dramatic effect on your look on the golf course. Don't believe me? Just watch the pros. Note the guys that wear pleated golf pants and those that don't. Who do you think looks better?

For me, the argument against pleated golf pants is simple - they look terrible. I think tradition was the start of pleated pants, and it has just carried forward, even though the rest of society has moved on to flat front pants, which look a lot better.

When you put on a pair of pleated golf pants, just take a look at what all of that extra material does for your image. It probably adds about 10 pounds to your frame. And whether you are 170 pounds or 270 pounds, no one needs an extra ten pounds.

I was trying to think of some situations when someone might want to wear pleats. The only one I could come up with is if you truly had big legs. I know some people like. Their legs are big. They needs the extra room to be comfortable, to make the athletic move that a golf swing is. If you fall into that category, than by all means go pleats - I say function of form on the golf course should be the first rule.

For everyone else, though, ditch the pleats. In addition to making you look thinner they are simply more pleasing to the eye. Imagine that pair of plaid golf pants with pleats or without. Without you look like royalty, you look like a runway model, you like a professional golfer. That confidence is guaranteed to carry over to your game.

The answer to the question then, is no, you should not wear pleated golf pants, unless you absolutely have to.

What do you think? I'd love to hear. Leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment